#3. Nodal Analysis
- Read Appendix A
and Sections 3.1 to 3.3 of Alexander & Sadiku's Fundamentals
of Circuit Analysis (6th
- Make sure you understand the answers to Review Questions 3.1 and 3.2 on page 111. Quiz
questions will be similar to these Review Questions or Review Questions from earlier
- Turn in solutions to Problems 3.2,
and 3.18***** on pages 112 to 124.
- *Typo in the book's answer to Problem 3.3:
The fourth current value is wrong. Instead
of 1 A,
the answer should be −1 A.
- **Hint for Problem 3.10. Don't be scared by the dependent current source in this problem. This source's current is 2Io,
where Io is the current through the 8-Ω resistor. So simply use Ohm's
law to rewrite 2Io in terms of that resistor's
resistance and a node voltage.
- ***Typo in the book's answer to Problem 3.11:
The first power value is wrong. Instead
of 293.9 W,
the answer should be 270.75 W.
- ****Hint for Problem 3.13. This circuit contains another node that the authors have not labeled. It's at the intersection of the 10-Ω resistor and the 600-V source. Let's call this node 3, and its voltage will be v3. When you draw a supernode around the voltage source, include nodes 2 and 3 within the supernode. But do not include the 10-Ω resistor, since it's not in parallel with the voltage source.
- *****Hint for Problem 3.18. When you draw a supernode around the voltage source, include nodes 1 and 3 within the supernode. But do not include any resistors, since none of them are in parallel with the voltage source.
- For the odd-numbered problems, check yourself against
the answers given in Apppendix D.